You all have heard it before…Albert Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”. Think about this quote for just a second and ask yourself, does this apply to the way I manage my sales territory or current book of business? Are you really expecting to increase sales by continuing with the same sales strategy? If so, how long do you think you have until it really catches up with you?
Think of it another way. If, for example under normal conditions it takes someone
- 50 new contacts/leads to generate 10 new appointments
- Resulting in 5 new proposals
- Closing 1 to 2 sales
The question is, what are you going to change about your sales efforts and activity level? While companies are stuffing their mattresses with extra cash and or squeezing their vendors on price so they can cut their costs to make a profit, you on the other hand, can only control what you can control. Your own sales efforts.
Remember these important tips;
- You must work 30-40% harder and smarter right now to generate more prospects into your funnel.
- Make your calls to the executives in the early am or after 5pm to schedule appointments while the gatekeeper is not there.
- Do a monthly sales funnel checkup – check the health and wealth of your sales funnel/pipeline
- Pay closer attention to your sales activity ratio’s (Calls:Appts, Appts:Proposals, Proposals:Close)
Bottom line is this – Now your numbers! Know what it will take YOU, personally, to generate the activity to close the business you need to make your sales plan each month.
In conclusion, if we do what we have always done but expect to get better results in this economy then perhaps a “check-up from the neck-up” may be in order.